26 May The Top 5 Pests to Watch Out for During the Summer Months
Summer is a great time to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but it’s also the time when certain pests become more active and can cause problems for homeowners. Here are the top five pests to watch out for during the summer months and what you can do to prevent and control them:
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are perhaps the most annoying pest of all. They not only leave itchy bites but also pose a significant health risk by transmitting diseases such as the West Nile virus, Zika virus, and dengue fever. To prevent mosquito infestations, remove any standing water from around your home, use mosquito repellent, and install screens on doors and windows.
- Ants: Ants are extremely common in the summer months as they look for food and water sources. They can quickly become a nuisance, especially if they find their way into your kitchen or pantry. To prevent ant infestations, keep your home clean and tidy, seal any cracks or gaps around doors and windows, and store food in airtight containers.
- Flies: Flies are also very active during the summer months, and they can spread disease by contaminating food and surfaces with their feces. To keep flies at bay, keep your kitchen clean, dispose of food waste promptly, and use screens on doors and windows.
- Termites: Termites are a year-round problem, but they tend to be more active in the summer months when the weather is warm and humid. They can cause significant damage to your home if left unchecked, so it’s important to have regular termite inspections and treatments.
- Spiders: Spiders can be a creepy-crawly sight in your home during the summer months. While most spiders are harmless, some species like black widows and brown recluses can pose a significant health risk. To prevent spider infestations, keep your home clean and tidy, seal any cracks or gaps, and eliminate clutter where spiders can hide.
While preventative measures can go a long way in keeping these pests out of your home, sometimes professional pest control is necessary. A licensed and experienced pest control professional can identify and address potential pest problems before they become major infestations. At Proctor Pest Control, we offer a variety of pest control services to keep your home pest-free during the summer months and beyond. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.