26 Aug Everyday Pest Prevention Tips
There is nothing as frustrating as dealing with a pest problem in your home. Unfortunately, no one is completely immune to infestation, even if you feel as though you are keeping your home clean and tidy. Keeping unwanted pests out of your home is about more than just cleaning, there are other steps that you can take to keep your home completely free of unwanted pests.
- Remove any sources of food for pests. While having fresh cookies sitting out on your counter may feel homey, it can also be a huge lure for unwanted pests to make themselves at home.
- Store all food items in safe and enclosed containers.
- Empty our your indoor garbage can regularly, and make sure that you have all garbage in a tightly-closed lid.
- Reduce areas of clutter, as these can provide shelter for pests and are a great place for them to hide.
- Do an exterior inspection of your home and make sure that you seal and close off any cracks or holes to eliminate pests from coming in from the outside.
- Perform routine cleaning across your entire home, the cleaner your home is and the sooner you can spot food crumbs throughout the home.
- Minimize the amount of tree branches, plants, mulch and shrubbery that touch your home. When plants physically touch your home, they can act as a “bridge” for pests to make their way indoors.
- Seal all doors and windows. This is the number one place that pests can find their way inside the home. A professional will be able to help.
- Rinse your recyclable materials like cans and plastic bottles, before you put them your recycling bin. Otherwise, these items can draw in unwanted pests.
- Clean out your drains. Sink and floor drains can often accumulate debris and gunk build up. This provides the ideal breeding site for pests like small flies. Regular cleaning with baking soda and vinegar, or a drain cleaner is the best way to keep this build-up at bay.
Actively working to prevent pests is a great way to keep your home safe. In addition to these efforts, make sure that you are working with a pest control expert that will help with chemical treatments and preventatives that will keep your home as safe as possible.
If you have more questions about pest prevention or what you can do to keep your home safe, contact the experts here at Proctor Pest Control. We are the area experts on all things pest control and can help make sure that your home continues to be a pest-free place your whole family will love.