08 Feb Can You Get Rid of Mice Completely?￼
As anyone who has had mice in their home could tell you, getting rid of these intruders can be frustrating. According to the National Pest Management Association, rodents are among the most prevalent and dangerous public health pests in the country. In a recent study, they found that approximately 21 million homes in the U.S. are invaded by mice every winter, which has led to serious health risks and property damage over the years.
Mice are resourceful little pests that can cause big problems for homeowners, so the best way to get rid of them is to keep them out of your house in the first place. Luckily, there are several preventative measures you can take to keep your home and family safe from an infestation.
How to Completely Rid Your Home of Mice
Getting rid of mice completely starts by identifying and fixing any entrances rodents could potentially enter through.
- Seal any gaps beneath doors greater than a quarter-inch or holes larger than a dime
- Repair any damaged window screens, clogged drains, or leaking pipes
- Replace weatherstripping around the foundation of your home and windows
- Ensure your attic, basement, and crawl spaces are well-ventilated and dry
Use physical barriers to close off any gaps or cracks you may find. Wire mesh can be used to close any openings you find outside of your house, and any holes you find inside can be sealed with caulk and steel wool. Furthermore, you can take measures to make your outdoor areas less inviting to mice.
- Don’t leave animal feed or water bowls out overnight
- Keep outdoor cooking areas clean and free of food
- Move compost bins at least 100 feet away from your home
- Keep grass within 20 feet of your home cut short
Keep Your Home Free of Mice
Once you’ve closed off all possible entrances and maintained your outdoor areas, clean your home regularly.
- Vacuum often to ensure crumbs aren’t left on the floor
- Store all food in airtight containers
- Keep your house free of clutter
- Empty household garbage cans frequently
Watch Out for Signs of Infestation
Early detection is essential when it comes to minimizing an infestation. Watch out for signs of mice in your home, such as droppings and gnaw marks on food items or wooden surfaces. You may also hear scratching or scurrying sounds coming from the walls, attic, or other crawlspaces in your home. Keeping an eye out for these tell-tale signs of rodent intruders can be the best way to prevent an infestation from getting out of hand.
The best way to minimize the impact of a mouse infestation is to catch intruders early, so stay vigilant and mouse-proof your home. However, if you suspect you may have a mouse problem or have questions about how to keep your family safe from infestation, reach out to a licensed pest control professional like Proctor Pest Control to inspect your home and determine the best way to control the issue.